Monday 1 June 2009

The Forge of Souls

As a brief introduction, I am taking part in my club's 'A tale of' project for 40k, hosted by Moon - check out this intro post for the project. I chose Codex Chaos Daemons and here is why:

  • Many of the models, both old and new, exist within the limbo that is my archived projects (bits box).
  • Being part of my bits box means somewhere, some time, I planned to invest in and develop this army.
  • I was weak at the Forge World open day and bought a Brass Scorpion, Khorne Daemon Prince and Herald.
  • Everyone else chose 'samey' armies.
Prior to starting the project, I explored various themes before choosing an army. I honestly felt myself going for Dark Eldar as an obvious choice to the concepts I was outlining. Typically my decisions were short lived and another Codex took stead.

With Daemons I took an interest to a small piece of background material attached to the Soul Grinders. Mention of a neutral daemonic forge within Chaos that produced such engines really grabbed my imagination. Also, being a Pre-Heresy fanatic, this opened a door into another interest of mine - the Dark Mechanicum of Mars. Imagination or not, I think the two are linked in various ways, a way - a path that I have chosen to explore.

Being neutral, I have the freedom to employ he entire armoury of the daemons without repercussions from over-zealous fluff fanatics. The Forge empoys and serves all deities, with the constructs holding strong reverence and oaths of fealty to it. I would like to have a heavy representation of constructs as far as feasible, it's just a shame Obliterators are not within the list.

Drawing inspiration, I have focused upon the works of H R Giger. String impressions of hybridisation between flesh and machine flow well with my plans. The dark metallics and eerie blues are definitely a style I wish to explore. If you look closely at Forgeworld's Brass Scorpion, it seems others have already been influenced by his fetishistic sexual imagery.

No comments: